Wednesday, May 28, 2008

My Texting Tween

Tonight as I was reading to Maggie and Miles before bed, Josie was writing a story on the opposite couch and Ellie was playing with my cell phone on the chair. This is the ensuing experiment with texting that I discovered....

Ellie (to her aunt Molly - my 20-yr. old sister in Chicago): "Hellooo!"

Molly (thinking it's me texting her): "Hi! I really miss you! I'm sorry I missed your call earlier this week. I tried calling back. I love you so much."

Ellie: "It is I, Ellie, who sent that message! I have no clue what that meant, but Mom already knows about it (your message!)"

Molly: "Hi El! Tell your mom you need your own cell phone so we can text :) I miss you guys so much. How is everyone?"

Ellie: "I appreciate your feelings-why don't you tell her that in person?"

Molly: "Ha ha! You speak like you're 30 years old. I'm impressed. I will. You could have my old one, I still have it. Hmm, Ill speak with your mom. :) What are you up 2?"

Ellie: "You spelled I'll wrong."

Molly: "I know its easier not to add in small commas or apostrophies but you are right. Sorry miss W."

Oh my, this is gonna be QUITE a ride...

I'm totally freaking out that I have a tween and I'm absolutely loving it at the same time. After she and I had a huge laugh about this texting tonight, we went upstairs to say our prayers. (A little background first - last night we took our small group and Ellie and Josie to a local food bank for a service project and Ellie was having a fit that she had to go and Maggie and Miles got to stay with Grandpa and Grandma...) But tonight she prayed, "...and Lord, please help (a friend) to go to Midwest Foodbank like I did last night, because it really changed my life." :)

Oh, the drama, the hilarity, the moments I want to pull my hair out, the moments my heart's so full it could burst...I'll take all of it. It's actually pretty awesome.

0 comments: