Sunday, June 29, 2008

Lesson #3

*Sorry, long post ahead, but don't miss the videos at the end! :)

Yep, we're already to Lesson #3! This week's lesson focused on language, religion, education, and literature of Ethiopia. We read two little blurbs about religion and education in Enchantment of the World: Ethiopia. (It was published in the late '80's, so is a bit obsolete, but I really liked the short, concise, easy-to-understand way it talked about big subjects.) My plan is to talk more about Christianity's specific influence in a couple of weeks, but we learned this week that Ethiopia has many Muslims, Christians, various traditional religions, and also a few thousand Jewish people, called the Falashas. One point I found intriguing is that the Falashas believed, until they were discovered by the outside world in 1860, that they were the only Jews on earth! They've lived in the northwest part of Ethiopia for about two thousand years and say that they were a "lost tribe" of Israel that broke away from the main group during the Exodus from Egypt. (Some scholars think the Falashas converted later than this, but still before Christ. America is just such a young country - I'm struck by Ethiopia's rich history!)

We also talked briefly about going to school in Ethiopia. It's a priveledge many children don't have because of the poor transportation system and the fact that about 75% of the kids live more than 1/2 a day's walk from a good road. (This was a great spot for me to plug how BLESSED my kids are to be able to go to school...hee hee) The levels of education sound a lot like what we do here - elementary, junior high, high school, and college. We read that not many are able to finish high school and even fewer attend college.

Which brings us to language and literature. One of my favorite parts! We learned that Ethiopia has a very rich oral tradition, and many of their stories have been passed down through generations as a way to communicate their values and beliefs to their kids. Like my friend Meg said in a comment from a previous post, "Often, it has helped me to understand a culture by learning what they teach their children...." I've been just itching to get my hands on so many of these incredible books that have been recommended to me by friends and various websites. Here's a start to my list - I haven't read these because they aren't readily available for check-out at our tiny library, so I need to pace myself in buying and starting our very own collection!

When the World Began, by Elizabeth Laird (A wonderful recommendation from Meg - thank you, my dear!!!! This is #1 on my list - an out-of-print compilation of stories published by Oxford Press. It's on amazon.com and will be my first purchase next month! :)
Fire on the Mountain
The Perfect Orange: A Tale from Ethiopia

We did read a couple of folk-tales from the back of the book I mentioned earlier and we started on American Girl's Saba: Under the Hyena's Foot by Jane Kurtz. It's a story about an Ethiopian girl - one of the books from their Girls of Many Lands series. Another great picture book I found that mentions Ethiopia, but is not specifically about Ethiopia (but that we loved and is definitely worth a read), is Brothers in Hope: The Story of the Lost Boys of Sudan, by Mary Williams. This book is based on a true story and is an incredible glimpse into the life of young refugees and the power of faith and perserverance.

Ok, if anybody has made it through this insanely long post (sorry - this stuff is fun for me), here's your pay-off. Some hilarious takes of our kids and me attempting to speak Amharic - the national language of Ethiopia. (And we found some good listening samples on YouTube, if you're interested in checking those out.)

This is what we're attempting to say:
Me: Hi!
Kids: Hi!
Me: Can you speak Amharic?
Kids: Yes.
Me: What is your name?
Kids: My name is....
Me: Thank you!
Kids: You're Welcome.
Me: Good-bye
Kids: Good-bye!





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So when are you going to start homeschooling? You're a natural! Just kidding! I wish I was as organized and did as much fun stuff as you!

Lorri

Anonymous said...

This is GREAT. I'm so thrilled for you guys! Keep us updated- these are really wonderful ideas.

love,
meg

PS- I'm totally coming to p-fest this year- I'm moving back to the midwest!

Matt and Katie said...

Laughed out loud with the last video. Miles was GREAT!!!! If it was only that easy. GOOD JOB!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness... I miss you guys so much! I can't handle these. I miss my babies. I ache to see you. Moses and I might just pack up and hit the road today just to come and hug you all. Er - you're doing such an amazing job with them. I love that they look like such a stair step sitting there on the table. I love you so much - please tell the kids this. Can you also let them know that I think of them every day and love them so much? Please tell them how special they are to us. I review your pictures with Moses everyday. Moses and I are coming the week of July 14th. Eric will be traveling the whole week... so we're going to make a trip home. I can't wait. Love you tons. Talk with you soon. XOXOXOXO

PS: He's been napping for 1 hour and 45 minutes! Hooray:)

Holli said...

oh my oh my! when we move back can we pay for lessons?

Holli said...

AWESOME!!!!i think you should go to front of the list!!!:)

Janell said...

so great Erin! I love Miles bla bla bla at the end. That's how I'd be attempting all this. :) Great ideas to take videos of these lessons. Your new little guy will love looking at them someday!

Carpenters said...

Thank you for the wonderful lesson and the Amharic practice videos. The kids are a riot. They did such a good job.

When we were in Ethiopia, everyone was so supportive of our adopting our children. The main focus was the wonderful education that they will be getting in America. They realize what an empowerment having a good education is.

I can't wait for the next installment.

With Love,
Penelope