Saturday, June 7, 2008

Summer School

Well, I've had a blast researching Ethiopia this past week - takes me back to my college days as an English major. I forgot how much I love this stuff. I've come across so many incredibly great websites and books and can't wait to share with you guys! (Also thanks to the people who posted great ideas for our Ethiopia 101 class - I'm going to incorporate every single one.) The toughest part was narrowing down the information and digesting it a bit for a 10, 8 ,6, and 4 year old...there won't be a whole lot on politics or government. :) The kids are actually really looking forward to it and that's really been fun for me. Just to give a basic idea of what I've got so far and what dates we'll be studying what:

June 13: Geography, Climate, and Wildlife

June 20: People and Culture: Part 1
(clothing, housing, family life, and common professions)

June 27: People and Culture: Part 2
(language, religion, education, and literature - folk tales)

July 4: People and Culture: Part 3
(calendar, festivals, music, art, sports)

July 11: People and Culture: Part 4
(FOOD! - recipes, coffee ceremonies, traditions and etiquette)

July 18: A Brief History and the Influence of Christianity

August 1: Present-day Ethiopia and Current Issues

August 8: How We Can Be the Hands and Feet of Christ in Present-Day Ethiopia
(study a few organizations and decide together how we're going to give and
get involved.)

I've got so much I want to write - so much I've learned already - it makes my head spin! But it's getting late, and I'm running out of steam. All I've gotta say is the more I read and the more I learn about Ethiopia and its beautiful people, the more I fall in love with and feel connected with the country, its people, and that little person God's got planned for our family. I guess that's why I've become so passionate about my goofy little Ethiopia 101 idea. Hmmm...more thoughts, but for another day...





8 comments:

Paul and DeeDee said...

Wow this looks awesome! I seriously can not wait to read what you have found! As we research Ethiopia, we have totally fallen in love with it! Trying to dig through the politics part of it now but it hurts my head:) HaHa Great Idea!

Brandi said...

This is GREAT! Can we use this info on our Adopt Ethiopia Info page on RLC?

Can't wait to read more!
Brandi
www.homehopeandfuture.blogspot.com

Janell said...

Great ideas, Erin! Can't wait to hear more details. If you don't mind, I'll use some of these too. :)

Laura said...

Wow Erin, this looks great -- way to go!

Erin said...

Absolutely - please use this! I hope some of the stuff we learn will be new and helpful to somebody!

Anonymous said...

Great ideas Erin, Impressive. Love, J

miss carys said...

Wow Erin! I can't believe how in-depth your blog is getting. I LOVE that people are responding so positively, and I am not at all surprised how insight and encouraging you are being for other who are considering adopting.

Did you see my friend Meg's comment? She has a lot of good ideas and I am excited that she is interested in your blog.

Keep on keepin' on!

love ya!

miss carys said...

there should have been a 'ful' after insight in the 4th line. duh!