Friday, June 20, 2008

Lesson #2

Today we had lesson #2 for our Ethiopia 101. We tackled learning about clothing, housing, family life, and common professions. First off, we all sat around the computer and watched a couple of videos on YouTube - one was called "Faces of Ethiopia" and the other, "My house in Ethiopia." It was cool to see the beautiful diversity of people and to see first-hand where one family lives. Then we read a few excerpts from these books we found at our local library:

Continent in the Balance: Africa/Ethiopia, by Jim Corrigan
Modern World Nations: Ethiopia, by Carol Ann Gillespie
Enchantment of the World: Ethiopia, by Dennis Brindell Fradin
Cultures of the World: Ethiopia, by Steven Gish

This time around, I wanted the kids to tell one thing they learned from our little class:

Ellie: "I learned that there's also mansions in Ethiopia!"
We learned about the variety of Ethiopian houses, ranging from one-room houses, stone houses, apartment buildings, and luxurious villas.

Josie: "I learned that the fireplaces in their homes are kind of shaped like rainbows!"
We learned that although housing styles vary greatly by region and ethic group, in the countryside, cooking is done in a fireplace in the middle of the house. (And it does kind of look like a rainbow from a certain angle!)

Maggie: "I learned that they make lots of clothes in the city."
We learned that about 90% of Ethiopians make their living from the land (farming crops and raising livestock), but in the city manufacturing textiles is also one of Ethiopia's most important industries.

Miles: "Some kids' parents died in Ethiopia..." (OK, we didn't talk about this today, but it must've been something that stuck with him when talking about orphans. His favorite part today hands down was sticking sticks and coffee beans in the playdough we used to make the fireplace.) :)

Me: I think one of the things that stuck out most to me is the importance of family in Ethiopia. Sometimes families are nuclear - dad, mom, and kids, and sometimes they're multi-generational. The families tend to be patriarchal, elders are shown great respect, and children are given small responsibilities and chores at about age 5.

So today the kids made a little diorama (I think that's the right word.) They were able to incorporate what they learned about traditional Ethiopian dress (and made their own with Ross' old T-shirt), farming, and the look of some homes in the countryside. (There's just typically not two Barbie-ish moms making injera at the same time.) ha ha Here's what they came up with:



8 comments:

Matt and Katie said...

OK seriously you ROCK. I love what you are doing. Your kids are really getting into this and it is going to be such a blessing when their sibling comes (which I hope is sooner than later). So FUN!!! BTW I love the new pics and nicknames...but Miles I don't get, where did you come up with that one? Amelia misses Maggie and wants her to come over SOOOO badly, we will have to talk soon, and get them together=)

Holli said...

AMAZINGGGGG! I don't know how I missed lesson one but I did- both so great. Can I bring over my kids for the next lesson?:) Gwen would love to put sticks in playdo!

Janell said...

I have to agree with Katie. You are doing such a great job, Erin! I just love it! How fun for the kids too. I'm sure this making them more excited for their little brother! Keep it going, I can't wait to see next week's lesson!

Erin said...

Hey guys-thanks for the great encouragement.

Katie-we got "Kilo" 'cause it's short for "Kilometers." (it's from my sis Molly living in Europe - they measure distance with kilometers instead of miles over there.) I'm not explaining this very well - does that make sense? :)

Holli-come on over!!! How many "kilos" from my place to yours? :)

Janell-the kids ARE getting into this...this afternoon Ellie and Maggie were playing with the Barbies decked out in traditional Ethiopian dress, and I heard Ellie say in a doll-like voice, "I'm going to go take a dip in the Blue Nile." ha ha ha

Carpenters said...

The kids did such a great job! What great fun! It's great to see how the kids are learning about Ethiopia. It gives me some good ideas about how to teach our children.

Carpenters said...

Thank you for your comment on my blog. Please feel free to link my blog to yours. I love sharing the blessings and the lessons that God has taught me during this amazing journey.

~Penelope

Amber said...

It's my fist time on your blog. I'm a fellow red letter campaign blogger so I wanted to say Hi!

Shelley said...

Hi Erin! I am so excited at your excitement! I love how you are getting your kids ready for the "Ethiopian immigration" the Lord is bringing your family through! I'm also challenged by your creativity. I'm looking forward to tracking each others' progress (we're in this love together... means something completely different now!). Hope you don't mind I linked to your blog... I love it.