Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Alex

Our kids have been begging for a kitty for a while now and fell in love with a little tabby named Alex who lived at the farm where they have horse class. About a month ago they began telling me about him and asking if I could call and put Alex "on hold" for our family when he'd be ready. I acted really nonchalant about it and I think they kind of gave up, thinking it'd never happen. Little did they know, the day after they told me about him, I called and successfully put Alex "on hold!" This seriously was the hardest secret I've ever had to keep. The best part was that their horse-class teachers were in on the surprise too. Week after week, they'd tell the girls that another family had already reserved Alex - so they'd see him each class, love on him, be totally sad he wasn't theirs, and pretty ticked at me for not calling before "the other family." hee hee.

Well, last week at the end of horse class, their teachers called them into the barn, brought out Alex with a giant ribbon around his neck and said, "Guess what - Alex's new owners are here...and they're YOU GUYS!"

Check out these faces:




On the way home they were like, "Mom, but we don't have any kitty stuff...the litter box, food..." (I was totally playing up the girlie drama here saying, "oh, no...") And when we got home, I surprised them with all of the goods. They were amazed and had no clue I'd been buying and stashing stuff for a month without their knowledge. :)

He's such a sweet little guy. And a great peace offering for having to give our horse Cody back to his previous owner (Which I don't think I blogged about, but was so devastating to the kids. He was just too energetic and independent to be a kid-friendly/beginner horse. It was a tough lesson and I felt horrible. But, live and learn, right?) And it helps that Ann, his owner, gives us updates to let us know he's happy and living it up with his old horse buddies.

So, here he is:



The only problem so far is that there's not 4 of him...

1 comments:

Amber said...

Ahh, the joy of giving!