Monday, October 27, 2008

Song of what????

Tonight Ross had a late meeting and I had bedtime duty. We got a late start at 8:15.

I'm tired, the kids have their pj's on, are in the process of teeth-brushing, yet still want to start their new CD book, Drift House that we got at the library today. I'm lugging clean, folded laundry upstairs, and realizing that I still need to get clean sheets on the girls' beds. Ugh. I'm kind of excited for the new CD book too, but don't want to skip our Bible story time. Since it's getting late I ask El to read everybody the Bible story while I do sheet duty. She very willingly grabs her Bible and I hear her gathering the troops. I start to hear her read as I'm making beds - good - it's quiet except for her voice. I realize I need the pillowcases, so I quickly walk to the hall closet, passing her room as I overhear,

"Your two breasts are like two fawns, twins of a gazelle...I say I will climb the palm tree and lay hold of its fruit...oh may your breast be like clusters of the vine...etc., etc., etc...."

I'm laughing inside thinking of all of the chapters in the Bible...she opens up to about THE most descriptive, although beautifully poetic, chapter in Song of Solomon.

Then I overhear her offering the other 3 kids some of her very own commentary: "Uh guys, this guy is talking about how he really loves His wife....geesh...he sure talks about breasts a lot in this part."

(I walked in right as she was ready to dive into the next chapter. It was so cute - she was getting kind of squirmy reading it and the other kids were completely clueless. After I explained the possible double meaning about God's love for His people, she was like, "OH!" with total visible and audible relief. Really hilarious. I wish I had a video of the whole thing. Writing about it just totally doesn't capture the moment.)

10 comments:

Steve & Danae said...

To funny...

Holli said...

HILARIOUS!!!

Anonymous said...

That is so funny!! :) As an aside... if you are interested... I just started watching Mark Driscoll's current sermon series on the Song of Solomon last night. It is really good, and parts are hilarious! I think I'm going to put a link to it of Facebook... thanks for sharing this! Love you.

Anonymous said...

SO funny!

Tasha said...

that is great. made me laugh too

Janell said...

Too cute. I love it! :)

L, Ann and boys said...

oh my =o) thanks for the smiles this afternoon. hee hee

megs @ whadusay said...

So Funny!!

tizzylish said...

Thanks for the laugh...that was too cute! You've gotta love the way a their minds work.

Jay T said...

That is hilarious.