Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A New Thing

I've got another sickie home today. I feel like at least one of us has been sick for the last month! I'm looking forward to spring! Anyway, because I'm homebound today, I've been having fun discovering old friends. It's been so great to get comments on this blog from friends I haven't seen in years! And then I've been able to find others through their blogs. This is so cool...

Anyway, I've been wanting to write an update on our adoption process for weeks, but Ross and I have just been taking our time to pray, talk, seek counsel, and regroup. It's actually been a really neat and needed time of reflection, introspection, and GROWTH.

To make a really long story short, here's what we've come up with: We definitely feel the continued passion and conviction to adopt, but after talking with our social worker, together we decided that the best option for our family would be to pursue adoption from Ethiopia.

I don't doubt how God has led us this far - I've learned SOOO much - Ross likes to tease me that it's a good thing this process hasn't been easy, otherwise I'd be tempted to think it was my effort of completing two dossiers in record time, or bravely driving through the perfect storm that got it done! You know, faith is nothing until it's tested. I really feel so relaxed now, and that's been the hugest blessing. There are still so many questions, WAY too much information to learn and papers to fill out, but now I really do trust that it's all in His time and power - not mine.

I was reading Isaiah 43 yesterday, and so much of it applies to what we've learned through this:

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
and the flame shall not consume you.
For I am the Lord you God, the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour...
Fear not, for I am with you; I will bring your offspring from the east and from the west I will gather you. I will say to the north, Give up, and to the south, Do not withhold; bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the end of the earth, everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made...
Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

I do sense that God is doing a new thing. Both within me, in our adoption, and in calling His people to care for orphans around the world. Amazingly, within the past two weeks alone, after Ross and I had decided on Ethiopia (but hadn't told anyone yet), I had 3 friends call me randomly, out-of-the-blue, and tell me they felt led to adopt - specifically from Ethiopia.

International adoption is by nature so volatile, but I know that nothing happens here on Earth without first passing through His hands. I'm just so excited to be a small part of what is obviously dear to God's heart - reaching out, caring for, and if it's His will, adopting and loving an orphan (or orphans!) :)

So, Lord willing, to be continued!......

3 comments:

Holli said...

So exciting! :) God is good! I love the hole book of Isiah but 43 is my fav of all times and so true with growing your faith it has to be tested! Can't wait to hear what friends are announcing/expecting/adopting!:)

Lisa said...

wow---and here's another one for you...we just spent this week with friends from KS and found out that some other good friends from KS are praying about adopting from Ethiopia :)

Have a blessed Easter!

christine said...

Computer gliche; I don't believe my first comment went thru. I noticed a link to your blog from Kristy's site & so glad to be able to 'reconnect' after all these years. Am thrilled to hear of your adoption news; it's quite a journey. Pop over to our blog (if you'd like) as we're also in the process of adopting a little boy from Ethiopia thru CHSFS.