Saturday, October 3, 2009

Miss Betty

The day after I wrote my post about being convicted to witness, a really interesting thing happened.

First, a little background: About a few weeks after Yonas came home, we both had to go to the doctor. We waited for FOREVER in the waiting room. And it was nearly impossible to divert Yonas' attention in the sparsely decorated, not kid-friendly environment. Here I have my newly adopted 3 yr. old in this totally boring place, he has no idea where we are, why we're there, and why, in heaven's name I'm making him sit there....and at this point, I have no way to explain any of it. So, ok. I've set the stage for:

Betty. She too was waiting for the doc and could sense I needed a little help, if even just a distraction. So, this sweet stranger struck up a conversation with Yonas and I, having no idea he couldn't understand a word she was saying, but he was mesmerized none-the-less. She pulled out this little LED flashlight and gave it to Yoni. Whew. It worked. She was such a sweet lady and I was really thankful for her momentary intervention. After a little small talk, we got called back to see the doc. End of story...or so I thought.

A couple of weeks ago my doctor's office asked if they could give my phone number out to the lady who had given us the flashlight back in July. They told me that she felt bad that she didn't have flashlights for all of our kids (who weren't even at the office that day). So sweet. So after about a week of phone tag, we finally nailed down a date that she could drop off the lights.

She came to our door with a bag full of fun little flashlight keychains. The kids loved them. But then she asked if I had a piece of paper and some scissors. And then she really got to work.
Ok, long story short, she basically took that little interaction at the doctor's office and turned it into an opportunity to not only show love, but to share the Gospel with me and my kids. She took one piece of paper, folded it a special way, made one cut, and then each little scrap of paper told part of Jesus' story.
The kids were mesmerized. And I was struck at how such a simple, everyday moment could turn into this...

As I listened in and took these pictures (a blog post in mind the whole time) :) I wondered if she wondered why God had brought her to our house that day. I mean, our kids were reciting their verses to her, we talked of our relationships with the Lord, etc, so we really didn't need to be told what we already knew, right? But I know why she came. She came to SHOW me. Isn't just like God to not only convict the heart, but to then help us take that conviction one step further to action - and show us how it's done?! Pretty cool.

So Betty and I talked and she told me how really incredibly easy it is to take the simplest conversations and interactions and turn them into an opportunity to love like Christ. I don't know - just thought it was really encouraging and challenging.

How can we do the same in our everyday lives? I'd love to hear your thoughts...

8 comments:

Ben and Heidi said...

that is so cool how God can use everyday outings to teach us how to show His love to others! I need to pray for more opportunities like this one. Thanks for sharing!!

Liz said...

What an amazing story! What a sweet lady. Thank you for sharing.

L, Ann and boys said...

So sweet. =) I think many people would like to just be invited into your home for a meal. We have people over for dinner and usually somehow end up talking about faith if conversation leads that way and we pray before the meal so they know that we are people of faith at least if they want to ask about it. Keep it simple in love seemed to be what the enduring lady did at your house, I think that's great. =)

An

~Together 2 Get Fit~ said...

First of all I love your blog title!! Secondly, I am so glad that I found your blog. You just posted on the CHS forum and I took a peek. I am so completely enjoying your blog! The post before this one about your daughter thinking about fruit is too cute and hilarious! I am going to read and snoop around some more. We are with CHS and on the very loooooong list for adopting from Ethiopia. All in God's timing!!

Thank you for your wonderful blogging and for sharing your family and your faith!

miss carys said...

How cool! Loved this story.

Laura said...

wow- what an amazing experience. Thanks for sharing and the neti pot video is hilarious-- not to say that I wouldn't ever try it but....

Tammy said...

What a sweet story. I'm encouraged and at awe with her courageousness. Thanks for sharing!

Sandy said...

Wow - amazing - Betty has an amazing gift!! But so much more, she has such an attentiveness to the Spirit. That's where I know I'm lacking. I get too busy with all the particulars to "be still" and really KNOW God. What a humbling, and inspiring example! Thanks for the post.