Tuesday, March 10, 2009

March 9, 2009!

I got a call yesterday at 12:34 p.m.  I was shopping with Miles at Sam's and had my cell phone with me, but I didn't hear it ring.  It must've rung right when we sat down to eat our pizza because it was buried in the cart.  We took our time, mosied out to our car, and I heard my phone beep.  I checked the number and didn't recognize the area code.  But I knew right away.  Something in my gut just told me this was THE call.  

I tried to call Ross a couple of times but no answer.  At this point my legs were jelly and my foot was shaking so much it was vibrating against the gas pedal!  (And I STILL didn't know for sure if this was even our agency who called!  ha ha ha)  So hilariously, instead of just calling the number back, I called my friend Danae and asked her what our agency's area code is.  :)  She quickly looked online and confirmed it - it definitely was a Minnesota area code.  By this time, thinking our agency had called and being 1/2 hr. from home, I was seriously freaking out.  I was afraid I'd swerve off of the road or pass out and crash on the interstate if I called the number back, so I drove home.  THE longest 1/2 hr. drive home ever.  :) (And I wonder where my girls get the drama....)

I walked in the door with my groceries, stuck the cold ones in the fridge, and kind of paced the kitchen a couple of times.  AND I still couldn't reach Ross.  It had been about an hour and 10 phone attempts - and that's odd because usually he's so easy to reach!  And then the phone rang...and our caller ID confirmed that indeed I was getting a call from our agency.  

BREATHE - BREATHE - Ok, Lord, here goes....I answered the phone and it was Jaimee, our social worker with "GREAT" news.  But I decided I really wanted Ross to hear everything first with me, so I told her I'd call her back as soon as I could reach my man.  At this point, I was seriously so excited I couldn't remember Ross' work cell phone and ended up calling some complete stranger sounding all excited.  ha ha ha  I actually had to look up his number.  Then he finally called me back and I asked if there was any way he could come home because we had JUST gotten our referral call and he said, "Guess what?  I'm in the driveway."  I guess 10+ phone calls in the past hour tipped him off that something was up.  :)

We grabbed two phones and called Jaimee.  And then it happened.  We heard the name of our future son for the very first time.  "Yonas."  It means Jonah.  And right away - we both looked at each other and mouthed, "Jonah."  That was it.  We've had the hardest time for the past year with names and we just knew in a second that was it.  Pretty cool moment.  Then we confirmed that our referral info was successfully sent to our computer, said bye to Jaimee (she told us lots of stuff that we maybe 1/2 processed), and couldn't wait to lay eyes on our little guy.

He's beautiful.  He's 3 1/2.  I just can't wait to post his picture and share his sweetness with all of you!  We're hoping for a successful court date within the next 12 wks. (at which time he'll officially be our son and I'll be able to post his pic) and then travel about 4 wks. after that.  

I attempted to post this last night, but was completely speechless.  We're so thankful, excited, awestruck, and humbled that God would entrust and bless us with this little guy.  Last night I was so restless because I found myself trying to memorize his face even in sleep!  

I could say so much more (the speechlessness of yesterday is long gone - ha ha ha) but suffice it to say, the journey to our Jonah has been so worth the wait.  :)

(Oh, one more thing - after we got our referral, Ross walked into the kitchen and asked if Jaimee had told me his name before we got the details.  I told him no-we heard everything together.  And then he said that the Bible on our kitchen counter was open to the first chapter of the book of Jonah.  And I hadn't even read anywhere near that book yesterday - I had read a little in the NT and instead of shutting the Bible when I was done, must've inadvertently flipped it back and it landed open at Jonah.  A really neat confirmation for us that God is in this.  Thank you, Lord!)


23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!! I saw the status on Ross's fb page and hopped over here for the whole story! :)I loved all the details! So excited for you guys!!! Can't wait to see his pic! ((hugs))
April

Anonymous said...

Oh Erin... I am thrilled for you guys! Can't wait to see him:)Enjoyed reading your story. Love ya- Jessie

Cindy said...

What a great story! Congrats again!!

Holli said...

So excited- I was speechless too! but the screams and the No ways and the jumping - lots of jumping when I found out! WE ARE SO EXCITED FOR YOU GUYS and can't wait to see your journey to your little guy! also praying you get a court date in less then 8 weeks (12 is TO MANY!):) praying for you, Jonah and for him to be HOME SOON!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! We are so thrilled for you. What a special and awesome testimony of God's providence for sure! I wish we lived closer so we didn't have to wait so long to see Jonah's picture!!! Miss you guys so much!
Erika

Tasha said...

oh Ross and Erin. The wait is finally over, and well it has just begun. Can't wait to get a sneak peak of your new little man. Thanks for sharing your awesome news. We are praying for your family and Jonah and his "family", quick court date and travel date. YeaH!~

Robbin Hopkins said...

Congratulation. Such a beautiful story! Confirmation that God is in charge!


Robbin

Heidi Klopfenstein said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so excited for you guys! 3 1/2-- same as our Tommy, SUCH A GOOD AGE!! Overjoyed with this news- thanks for sharing! Will be praying for you, Jonah, a speedy court date!

A Lover and a Fighter said...

Congratulations! That's such an exciting and wonderful story.

Rachel said...

Congratulations! Great story... don't know how you remained so calm waiting on your husband!

Anonymous said...

WOO-HOO!!! And he IS beautiful! Absolutely perfect. I can't wait until he's in your arms forever. Hang on, it's such a ride...one that's SO worth it(as you said.) Praying right beside you for sweet Jonah.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see his picture. I'm am so impressed how you waited for Ross. Wow! I think this wait is the hardest b/c you have a picture of your son that you love already and you're dying to meet him. Oh Erin, what an adventure of traveling to another country to get your son! It's so life-changing. He is getting one awesome family--that I know for sure. We rejoice with you and praise God for this wonderful addition.
Give our love and congrats to your whole family,
Lorri

Liz said...

Congratulations! What an amazing story. God has a way of speaking to us and showing us His glory. I am so very happy for your family. Best wishes. We will pray for your family and especially sweet Jonah.

Anonymous said...

Ross and Erin,
Congrats!!!! (You had me laughing and in tears at the same time!) So happy for your family!!
Love,
Jodi H.

Janell said...

SOO EXCITING!!! You've been such a long journey and as Abby said, it's really now just beginning. :) This waiting is soo hard! Praying everything comes together soon to bring your sweet Jonah home. What a cute little man!!

Matt and Katie said...

FINALLY!!!!! And he is the same age as Orlando, another pair for school!!! So excited and can't wait to see him, maybe I will stop by when I am in the nieghborhood;) CONGRATS to you all!!!!!!!! PS LOVE the name, just perfect. Jonah had quite an amazing story, can't wait to hear and see your Jonah's story!!!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't be more ecstatic for you guys and our whole family!!!! He is so wanted:) I love you and am so thankful to be able to share in this with you. Moses and I have already discussed our welcome banner details! Love you sister. xoxoxoxoxo

Laura said...

Oh I am so excited for you guys!!! Your story is absolutely too funny-- your girls definitely got the drama honestly!
love you guys!
laura

Megan said...

Erin(& fam)

I've actually been following your blog for a while. I have no idea how I found it, but I loved your Ethiopia series! We are in the adoption process too and got our referral for an 8 month old Ethiopian baby boy on March 5th!

I am so excited that you got your referral! It's been fun to read about your journey...albeit in a rather "stalking" way!! You can see our family blog at ianandmegan.blogspot.com or our adoption blog is at laylajourney.blogspot.com

Congrats again, I'll pray for ya'll to have a speedy court process and a healthy & happy sweetie boy!

Megan Somes

Lyn-Dee said...

Congratulations! We adopted a 3 1/2 yr old boy too! It is a terrific age!

megs @ whadusay said...

I am so excited for you guys! What a neat story and I LOVE the name. Can't wait to see pics!

christine said...

Congrats! Congrats! Praying you'll feel God's grace daily as you wait to bring your little Jonah home.

Nichole said...

Congratulations! I check your blog every once in awhile. I am also an adoptive mom that lives in M. We returned from Russia with our daughter at the end of Dec 2008. I am friends with Holli K. Your referral day story is so awesome! Our God is so good! Congratulations, again!!!!!