Friday, August 8, 2008

Lesson #7

We've spent the last several weeks learning about all that makes Ethiopia beautiful and unique. This week has a different feel. Our lesson: Present Day Ethiopia and Current Issues. And although there are many current issues, just like anywhere in the world, here's what's going on right now and appears to be the greatest, most pressing challenge and crisis facing Ethiopia:



This leaves me so speechless. The kids and I sat glued, motionless and silent, to the computer screen as we watched video after video and read article after article. Here's an informative article from TIME:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1829841,00.html

and some others:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-food5-2008aug05,0,1993870.story

http://www.unicefusa.org/news/news-from-the-field/unicef-seeks-additional-funds.html?gclid=CIfK4M7A-ZQCFRghnAodAjqArA

And our project for this week? Prayer, prayer, and more prayer for the people directly affected by this famine and for all of us here, still eating, drinking, and daily living obliviously to the pain and need on the other side of the world...Lord, show us how to be your hands and feet!

2 comments:

Danae said...

Very, Very, sad....the people of Ethiopia are truly apart of me now and I hurt for them. I wish there was some way to support a family or something like that....I mean if we all supported a family we could make a difference....how can that be done?

Anonymous said...

Er-
What can you say after watching that video? I look at my plump baby and just ache for those little bodies and mommas that have to watch their babies starve. I join you in praying for all those suffering. You can't get your baby soon enough. We are so immensely blessed. Wow. I love you dearly.
Macy