Monday, July 14, 2008

Lesson #5

The weeks are seriously flying by! I can't believe we're already on Lesson #5 for Ethiopia 101. This week, our focus was on FOOD! - recipes, coffee ceremonies, traditions and etiquette. My main goal was to experience and share a traditional Ethiopian meal together. I commissioned my Grandma, Dad, Mom, sister, sister-in-law, and brothers to each make something, so we had a serious feast. Our adoption agency gave us a packet of lots of great recipes that they got online at http://www.sas.upenn.edu/African_Studies/Cookbook/Ethiopia.html.

Here's what we made:
Ross & I: Injera (Ethiopian pancake-like bread), Iab (cottage-cheese/yogurt w/herbs), Doro Wat (chicken stew), and Tej (honey wine)
Grandma T.: Sega Wat (Ethiopian lamb)
Dad, Mom, and Bob: Vegetable Alecha (vegetable stew)
Macy: Dabo Kolo (little fried snacks)
Mike & Sarah: Chef Kurt Linsi's Queen of Sheba Salad (a great tomato/onion accompaniment - not a part of the traditional Ethiopian meal, but suggested as a great addition from this website.)
The only thing we weren't brave enough to try was the Kitfo, or raw ground beef mixed with salt, pepper, and butter...it's served raw, and is considered the dessert of the meal.) :)
And, although we didn't get to talk about the coffee ceremonies, we did enjoy a pot of Gobena!

Right before dinner I read the intro that came with all of these recipes and it talks about how a traditional meal is served and how it's eaten. We made some modifications - for example, instead of sitting on 8-in. stools and putting our Wat and Iab directly on the Injera, we all filled our plates with the stews, etc. and then ripped off the Injera and filled it from our plates. (And we used forks and spoons.)

We really, really enjoyed the food and had an absolute blast together. I think this worked out so well to include part of our extended family in this too because I could tell their interest and excitement grew by being able to contribute and share in the Ethiopian meal and lesson. We all agreed this was just the first of many Ethiopian feasts to come! But instead of writing more, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves!


Clockwise, starting at the top: Iab, Sega Wat, Queen of Sheba Salad, Doro Wat, Dabo Kolo, and Vegetable Alecha


From left to right: my sis Macy (visiting with Moses for the week - more pics to come...), sis-in-law Sarah, bro Mike, bro Bob, Dad, Mom, Gram T., and Ross (my man)


Ellie, Miles, Maggie, and Josie totally digging the Injera - their favorite part.


Me and my Dad

Molly and Eric - we missed you guys!!!

5 comments:

Janell said...

Sweet pic of you and your dad! The goatee! He looks kinda rugged and distinguished at the same time. :) Glad you liked the food. I have to say, I'm a little nervous about that. See you tomorrow!

Katie said...

Wow... looks delicious! I might have to take a look at some of those recipes... :)

Matt and Katie said...

You have trained your kids well! I think my kids would not have eaten anything...ok maybe the bread. You are doing such a good job with this stuff!!! Truely, how fun!!!!!

miss carys said...

Awesome pics and description and even awesome-r night. Thanks!!

Jami said...

Erin - that is too cool!!